Mr. Markoff is a native of Los Angeles, California. He graduated from Los Angeles City College in 1964 with an Associate in Arts degree. His many affiliations include: the precious metals and numismatic business for 50 years (1954-2005); Chairman and CEO of A-Mark Financial Corporation, a Santa Monica-based financial services company he founded in 1965 (originally named A-Mark Coin Company, that purchased the Wilkison Gold Pattern Collection and Redfield Silver Dollar hoard); the A-Mark Foundation, a private foundation he founded in 1997 which became the parent of free searchable databases and other nonpartisan information covering interesting and important social issues and history. In 2004 he helped found A-Mark Entertainment a company he co-chairs; and that year he also founded ProCon.org, a 501(c)(3) public charity promoting critical thinking that as of 12-31-14, had been, or is being used by over 5,000 schools in over 65 countries. Mr. Markoff also has interests in Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, California, acquired in 2011, and in Two Bunch Palms, acquired in 2012.
Mr. Markoff's non-business efforts:
1. Community/Public Service:
2. Public Service Educational Websites:
- Conceived (January, 2011) and financed the three Richard A. Clarke National Scholarly Monograph Contests of 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- Gave a talk (10/27/04) "Let's Talk About Lying," at Woodbury University (Burbank, CA),
- Gave a talk (3/24/04) "How to handle your attorney without losing your sleep, your mind and your bank account," at Woodbury University (Burbank, CA),
- Founder and Chairman, ProCon.org, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public benefit corporation (founded on July 12, 2004) [Read a personal statement from Steve Markoff on the origins and background of ProCon.org],
- Member of the Board of Directors of the nonprofit ACLU Foundation of Southern California since 1979,
- Member of the Washington, D.C.-based Federal Task Force on Judicial Selection (which issued its report "Judicial Selection" in the Fall of 1999),
- Member of the Board of Directors of the UCLA Management Education Associates from 1986 to 1992,
- Conducted two seminars An Entrepreneur's View at The Gorbachev Foundation (Moscow, Russia) - The International Foundation for Socio-Economic and Political Studies in October 1992,
- Member of the Board of Directors of the non-profit UCLA Graduate School of Management, Board of Visitors, 1986,
- Member of the Board of Directors of the non profit Hollywood Community Hospital from 1982 to 1984 (when it was sold to a for-profit group).
3. Published Work:
- Bodfish.org; Went online July, 2013; The site give local information on Bodfish, California, a town of 2,000 and the surrounding area
- The U.S/Cuban Embargo; Started in 2011, this searchable database in Timeline format, contains over 600 sourced quotes about Cuba, and the US embargo from government officials, journalists, authors, + others.
- 911plus.org; Online November 2009; The online database of the to-be-published reference book whose working title is “9/11 Plus: Events Seemingly Related to 9/11 and Our Subsequent Invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq” - a compilation of over 6,500 sourced quotes from 1947 to Sept. 11, 2011, surrounding our nation’s worst and most transformative tragedy of the 21st Century.
- Celtic Mirrors.org; founded July 2009; the site promotes the understanding of Celtic mirrors and shows pictures and related information about the 28 known Celtic mirrors.
- ProCon.org; created July 2004; the site's mission is to promote critical thinking, education and informed citizenship, setting forth pro and con arguments and related information about important controversial issues.
4. Other Events:
- Inducted in the PNG Coin Dealers hall of fame in August, 2013.
- July 15, 2013, received his 50-year Longevity Award from the American Numismatic Association ("ANA").
- As Deputy Commissioner of civil marriage, married his uncle Don Price to Wilkie Pretorious on July 19, 2008.
- Played first round of golf (18 holes) on March 13, 2005 (with Bruce McNall, Mike Marvin and Marv Dauer), and shot 135. Shot 113 (with a friendly scorekeeper), on March 20, 2005. The other players that day were Bruce McNall, Marty McSorley and Marv Dauer.
- As Deputy Commissioner of civil marriage, married son Chris to Joanna Palica on November 25, 2000.
- Completed a six-hour training course in automatic weapons on December 21, 1996.
- In November of 1994, sent a video copy of "Sex, Drugs and Democracy", a Jonathan Blank film, to all 535 members of Congress.
- On May 12, 1992 in Washington, D.C., addressed the Advisory Committee on CFTC/State Cooperation on the question of lending on precious metals.
- Made solo hand glide from 100' hilll on April 24, 1983.
- Joined the Sports Car Club of America in 1977, and began racing Formula Fords.
- Put in the 1978 edition of the Guinness book of records, for purchasing the unique U.S. 1907 Double Eagle pattern from the Dr. Wilkison Collection for about $900,000.
- Put in the 1977 edition of the Guinness book of records for the January 1976 $7.4M purchase of the Redfield Silver Dollar collection - 407,000 U.S. silver dollars weighing 11 tons.
- Received SCUBA Certification on July 22, 1971 from County of Los Angeles - Certification #013612.
- Honorably Discharged from the US Army on June 5, 1970.
- Made solo parachute jump from 2,800 feet on July 31, 1966.