Mr. Markoff is a native of Los Angeles, California. He graduated from Los Angeles City College in 1964 with an Associate Arts degree. His many affiliations include: the precious metals and numismatic business for 50 years (1954-2005); Chairman and CEO of A-Mark Financial Corporation, a Santa Monica-based financial services company he founded in 1965 (originally named A-Mark Coin Company, that purchased the U.S. Wilkison Gold Pattern Collection and Redfield Silver Dollar hoard); the A-Mark Foundation, a private foundation he founded in 1997 which became the parent of free searchable databases and other nonpartisan information covering interesting and important social issues and history. In 2004 he helped found A-Mark Entertainment a company he co-chairs; and that year he also founded ProCon.org [www.ProCon.org], a 501(c)(3) public charity promoting critical thinking that as of 12-31-16, had been, or is being used by over 8,700 schools in over 87 countries. Mr. Markoff also has an interest in Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, acquired in 2011. In 2016 A-Mark Foundation funded the non partisan and nonprofit website AboutTrump.org
Mr. Markoff's non-business efforts:
1. Community/Public Service:
2. Public Service Educational Websites:
- Conceived (Jan. 2011) and financed the three Richard A. Clarke National Scholarly Monograph Contests of 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- Gave a talk (10/27/04) "Let's Talk About Lying," at Woodbury University (Burbank, CA).
- Gave a talk (3/24/04) "How to handle your attorney without losing your sleep, your mind and your bank account," at Woodbury University (Burbank, CA).
- Founder and Chairman, ProCon.org, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public benefit corporation (founded on July 12, 2004) [Read a personal statement from Steve Markoff on the origins and background of ProCon.org].
- Member of the Board of Directors of the nonprofit ACLU Foundation of Southern California since 1979.
- Member of the Washington, D.C.-based Federal Task Force on Judicial Selection (which issued its report "Judicial Selection" in the Fall of 1999).
- Member of the Board of Directors of the UCLA Management Education Associates from 1986 to 1992.
- Conducted two seminars of "An Entrepreneur's View" at The Gorbachev Foundation (Moscow, Russia) - The International Foundation for Socio-Economic and Political Studies in Oct. 1992.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the non-profit UCLA Graduate School of Management, Board of Visitors, 1986.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the nonprofit Hollywood Community Hospital from 1982 to 1984 (when it was sold to a for-profit group).
3. Published Work:
- Bodfish.org - Online July 2013, this site gives local information on Bodfish, California, a town of 2,000 and the surrounding area.
- The U.S./Cuban Embargo - Started in 2011, this searchable database in Timeline format, contains over 600 sourced quotes about Cuba, and the U.S. embargo from government officials, journalists, authors, + others.
- 911plus.org; Online Nov. 2009 - This online database of the to-be-published reference book - whose working title is “9/11 Plus: Events Seemingly Related to 9/11 and Our Subsequent Invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq” - is a compilation of over 7,300 sourced quotes from 1947 to Sep. 11, 2011, surrounding our nation’s worst and most transformative tragedy of the 21st century.
- Celtic Mirrors.org - Founded July 2009, this site promotes the understanding of Celtic mirrors with pictures and related information about the 28 known Celtic mirrors.
- ProCon.org - Created July 2004, this site's mission is to promote critical thinking, education and informed citizenship, setting forth pro and con arguments and related information about important controversial issues.
- OceanInfo.org - Online in 2015, this site features global and regional scientific information on our oceans.
- ObamaInfo.org - Online in 2015, this site has information on Barack Obama's birth, school, and his early years, and his acts as president.
- BushInfo.org - Online in 2016, this site has information on George W. Bush's birth, school, and his early years, and his acts as president.
4. Books for publishing:
-The following three Books are 99% complete, except that they need final edit (Mr. Markoff is looking for a publisher of any or all of the books...March, 2017)
-The forth book is estimated to be ready for publication by 2022
- Second Amendment, The Probable Meaning And Effect Of The 27 Words Of The Second Amendment, Using Straight Math
- George W. Bush Crimes & Misdemeanors Of His Presidency (9/11, Iraq and Torture)
- The ACLU, the Constitution, and the Supreme Court (The Batting Average of the ACLU
at the Supreme Court in the 20th Century
- Official Anti-Jewish Acts Throughout History (410 B.C. to 12-31-2000)
5. Other Events:
- Inducted in the PNG Coin Dealers hall of fame in Aug. 2013.
- As Deputy Commissioner of civil marriage, married his uncle Don Price to Wilkie Pretorious on July 19, 2008.
- Played first round of golf (18 holes) on Mar. 13, 2005 (with Bruce McNall, Mike Marvin and Marv Dauer), and shot 135. Shot 113 (with a friendly scorekeeper), on Mar. 20, 2005. The other players that day were Bruce McNall, Marty McSorley and Marv Dauer.
- As Deputy Commissioner of civil marriage, married son Chris to Joanna Palica on Nov. 25, 2000.
- Completed a six-hour training course in automatic weapons on Dec. 21,1996.
- In Nov. 1994, sent a video copy of "Sex, Drugs and Democracy", a Jonathan Blank film, to all 535 members of Congress.
- On May 12, 1992, in Washington, D.C., addressed the Advisory Committee on CFTC/State Cooperation on the question of lending on precious metals.
- Made solo hang glide from 100' hill on Apr. 24, 1983.
- Joined the Sports Car Club of America in 1977, and began racing Formula Fords.
- Arbitraged the 1979 United and American Airlines 50% Off Coupons.
- Made it into the 1978 edition of the Guinness book of records, for purchasing the unique U.S. 1907 Double Eagle pattern from the Dr. Wilkison Collection for about $900,000.
- Made it into the 1977 edition of the Guinness book of records for the Jan. 1976 $7.4M purchase of the Redfield Silver Dollar collection - 407,000 U.S. silver dollars weighing 11 tons.
- Received SCUBA Certification on July 22, 1971 from County of Los Angeles - Certification #013612.
- Honorably Discharged from the US Army on June 5, 1970.
- Made solo parachute jump from 2,800 feet on July 31, 1966.