New ProCon.org Website: Is a College Education Worth It?
With 19.9 million US college students in 2013 and average student debt reported at over $26,500 and growing, the debate over whether or not a college education is worth it affects millions of Americans.
ProCon.org, debuts a brand new website, https://college-education.procon.org, and delves deeply into the pros and cons of whether or not a college education is worth it.
People who argue that college is worth it contend that college graduates have higher employment rates, bigger salaries, and more work benefits than high school graduates. They say college graduates also have better interpersonal skills, live longer, have healthier children, and have proven their ability to achieve a major milestone.
People who argue that college is not worth it contend that the debt from college loans is too high and delays graduates from saving for retirement, buying a house, or getting married. They say many successful people never graduated from college and that many jobs, especially trades jobs, do not require college degrees.
In addition to in-depth research on the pros and cons of a college education, the new ProCon.org website contains a historical background section, videos, images, over 100 footnotes and sources, and Did You Know? facts including:
* 19.9 million students were enrolled in colleges and universities in 2013, compared to 13.5 million in 1990, 7.9 million in 1970, and 2.7 million in 1949.
* In 2011, 50% of US college graduates under 25 years old had no job or only a part-time job.
* One in three college graduates had a job that only required a high school diploma or less in 2012, including more than 16,000 parking lot attendants, 83,000 bartenders, and 115,000 janitors with bachelor’s degrees
* In Aug. 2013, approximately 6,900 accredited colleges and universities were operating in the United States, compared to 3,535 in 1990 and 1,851 in 1950.
* In Apr. 2013 the unemployment rate for college graduates over 25 years old was 3.6% compared to 7.5% for high school graduates
For pros, cons, and related research on whether or not a college education is worth it, visit https://college-education.procon.org, the 48th issue website from ProCon.org.