Middle East Conflict in Context: Backgrounder Information
To help put the current Middle East conflict in context, here’s a partial list of related (and updated) Britannica articles. Teachers, students, and journalists alike should find them useful:
- Abraham accords: Agreements to normalize relations between Israel and Arab neighbors.
- Israel-Saudi peace deal: Anticipated agreement between Saudi Arabia & Israel, maybe now in doubt.
- Two-state solution: History and context for a framework of peace between Israel and Palestine
- Arab-Israeli Wars: Brief summary (with links to more comprehensive articles).
- Gaza Strip: Comprehensive geographical and historical recounting of the region.
- Hamas: Origins and actions of the group.
- Hezbollah: Militant Lebanese group to Israel’s north.
- PLO: Umbrella term for group that claims to represent the world’s Palestinian populations.
- Israel Defense Forces (IDF): Israel’s defense force.
- West Bank: Historical and geographical context for the disputed territory.
- Israel: Historical and geographical context for the country.
- Iran: Historical and geographical context for the country.
- Palestine: Historical and geographical context for the region.
- Benjamin Netanyahu: PM of Israel
- Camp David Accords: Peace deal between Israel and Egypt (1978)
- Oslo Accords: Agreement between Israel and the PLO to reach a two-state solution.